Thursday 9 July 2009

Monsoon Waiting

it's 9th July and I am still waiting for proper monsoon here [here-Hyderabad]. I just hope by the time this blog is posted, there is plenty of rain all over India. Today central government declared drought in Madhya Pradesh. That's bad and makes me more worried about coming days. There is Marathi movie releasing soon named "Gabhricha Paus" [the damned rain], which talks about farmer suicides in Vidharbha, lack of sufficient rainfall is one of the reason for such suicides. It hardly rains in Hyderabad during daytime, and even at nights it’s mostly lots of lightning and drizzles. I really pity for school kids here, they hardly get any holiday due to heavy rains. That is what I like about Mumbai rain and makes me more nostalgic. I often sing a song during monsoon season "Meri 2 takiyedi naukari mein, mera lakhon ka sawan jaye!!"

There is nothing rosy and romantic about Mumbai rain in fact it makes city filthier, still I love 'Mumbai Rain'. Mostly it is untimely and creates lots of havoc but the best thing and (what I m missing most) are the monsoon treks and monsoon weekend trips (fondly called as Varsha-sahals). Maharashtra truly blessed with some of bestest forts in the world and equally gifted with the people who know how to enjoy it.

In Hyderabad when you ask for a trip in Rain they often reply (and reject) saying "No yaar, tabhi to barish hogi."

Go for a long drive on Mumbai-Pune Highway in rainy season it’s an awesome view, Rain can make any place beautiful if you don't believe me check out "Sawaan barse tarase dil" song. It has been shot on roads of Mumbai in rain, two lovers dying to meet each other but rain playing spoil spot. But even rain can not stop the true lover "Barkha mein bhi dil pyasa hain, yeh pyar nahi to kya hain?" that's my most favorite song for rain.

I heard that Tansen's singing was so magical that his raags used to make rain but I believe that rain itself is magical. C’mmon, we all start humming our favorite song when we are sitting on our couch with cup of hot tea and there is rain outside. Yes, rain is magic. Alas! The only synonym for rain in English is precipitation (Gosh! this language is so incomplete.) Mohd Rafi and Hariharan are the best companions for rain. You can pull out any Rafi-Dev Anand or Rafi-Shammi combo and have best rain of your life. Or rely on Hariharan and rest is assured. Surprisingly he has some of the best rain songs ever "Tu Hi Re", "Nahi Samne- Taal" and "Sawan Barse" , Hariharan you are my Taansen.

Bollywood delivered really good movies on Rain but surprisingly both new Barsaat (Boby Deol featured in both the movies) has nothing related to rain. On the other hand 'Lagaan' brought the killing monsoon wait and agony on silver screen. Baarish ho na ho, baarish ka intezaar toh hona chahiye” the dialogue from my favorite movie "Thoda sa roomani ho jaye" sum up the spirit of our Indians.

If we are talking about rain, 2 people have to be mentioned. Duckworth and Lewis, you love them, you hate them but you just can’t ignore them. Whenever there is rain in cricket. You will find these 2 guys just around the corner. Rain can be really annoying ask Roger Federer, he has been through 2008 final. It can be devastating ask every Mumbaikar who has been through 26th July. Rain can be real fun; we all enjoyed those paper boats don't we?

But rain should be there. Global Warming, Green House effect or what ever it is. Ultimately we are the one at receiving end. Just wanted to end this post saying

"Bijli ki talwaar nahi,

boondon ke baan chalayo

kale megha kale megha

Pani to barsao"

2 comments:

Prabha said...

Is there something abt Mumbai which you dont love??? I dont think so - Incidental/Co-incidental - I donno - But every post of urs has a piece of Mumbai in it :D :D :D

And yeah - Coming to rains - Hyd no rains yet??? Pity - I had a great exp shopping in Charminar in heavy rain - That was my first time to Charminar and it rained so heavily - And I have a pic of Charminar with the falling rain drops - beautifully taken by - who else - Me :P

And In UK it's supposed to be summer - But it's raining everyday (Thankfully not heavily) -

And I totally agree with u on the rain fun part and Hariharan songs :D - Saawan Barse is my favvvvvvv rain song too :) So is Nahin Saamne!

I pray that Hyderabad gets lot of rain and let Wipro parking overflow with the stinking gutter water n let all the two/four wheelers struggle to come out of the mini pond!!! Thathaasthu :P

AbhiC said...

@Prabha,
Mam checkout the blogpost name, it's Mumbaichaat...Mumbai has to be there [:)] regarding ur Wish, yes even me too hoping the same :P
Show me that charminar snap.